Sage Line 50 and Windows 7 64bit

Ran into an issue with 64 bit windows and Sage Line 50.   We use excel to suck data from sage for our stock, accounts, etc.  All of the spreadsheets that we have rely on the ODBC connector but it wouldn’t work, even when we tried to configure it via the 32 ODBC control panel applet.   I had another look at it today and a little Google later I found this link.

Here’s what I got from it.  Browse to the C:Windowssyswow64 folder and run odbcad32.exe, you should now be able to configure the path to your sage data as before.  This basically fixed the issue, seems to me that Microsoft have some more work do to.

I believe that this is only an issue with Windows 7 64 bit.  I have installed Windows 7 (64 bit) clean and then installed Sage on top of the clean Windows 7, then Excel 2010 (it was Excel 2007 when I first had the issue) and it worked first time so if you having issues, a bit drastic but maybe a format reinstall will work.  If you go down the reinstall route ensure that you have a fully tested backup.

UPDATE (16/07/2010):

Put the instructions for the fix on this post, to save a click.

Would you like a video demo?  If so then please leave a comment telling me so, if I receive enough then I, I’ll do it.


    1. I know this is a very old post but I am trying to install Sage Line 50 V12 on Windows 7 64 bit but when I try to run sage by clicking on the Icon in my All programs file it opens sage and quickly disappears again. I know when you install Sage it automatically installs all files in Program Files (X86) but during installation I did create a folder in Program files and named it sage and then all files install there but I still get the problem.

      Any help would be highly appreciated.

  1. In the UK you have sweets with holes in the middle called Polo. In NZ, we have the same sweet, but they are called Lifesavers. I guess they are so-named because they resemble the buoyancy aids found on ships and piers. Now, I doubt you are shaped round or have a hole in the middle, but you are a lifesaver. Thank you infinity.

  2. I have tried the solution. But I’m getting below error when trying to access Sage from .Net client. I’m running Windows7 64 bit and Sage 11

    Specified DSN contain as architecture mismatch between the driver and the Application

    Any help?

    1. OK. Is the .net application is this internally developed or 3rd party application?

      Does it connect to sage DataSet via Excel? This would prove/disprove if the ODBC is working/not working.


  3. In my case, working with sysWOW64 and ODBC worked as Wayne mentioned above but recently after installing 64bit version of Office Prof Plus, the drivers stopped working with Excel sheets. After removing the 64bit version of office and re-installing 32 bit version, Win7 64bit with Office
    32bit worked well for one individual. thought I would share this incase someone has same issue!

    My issue is this, I have .Net app running on Win7 64bit, reading ODBC tables in Line 50, worked well until now BUT I have an exception which reads:

    System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException (0x80131937): ERROR [08001] Cannot find all files in data path
    ERROR [01000] The driver returned invalid (or failed to return) SQL_DRIVER_ODBC_VER: 18.0
    ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver’s SQLSetConnectAttr failed
    ERROR [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver doesn’t support the version of ODBC behavior that the application requested (see SQLSetEnvAttr).

    Have you had this issue Wayne? Could it mean the query is wrong? Ive checked the path of the ODBC and it is pointing in the correct place. I’ll keep rooting round the net!

  4. I have spent hours looking for assistance on this problem. I have not been able to check it out yet but at least I can now direct the Sage ODBC driver to the correct location for the data. Thank you.

  5. HI Wayne,

    Just found this and it is hopefully just the fix for my issue, your instructions lost me at the “you should now be able to configure the path to your sage data ase before.” part.

    What is actually needed to be done here, my installer for sage line 50 hangs whilst installing on the “setup is configuring the ODBC…”

    Many Thanks

  6. Hi again Wayne,

    You deserve a medal. This has to be the first time that running something with Admin rights has worked for me!

    Thank you very much for the help, all installed and working.


  7. Hey, thanks for the post, just moved Sage 2013 onto a new W7 64bit machine and have some code that exports ledgers etc, so this was a great find for me. Worked 1st time.
    Thanks Jason

  8. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make
    your point. You clearly know what youre talking
    about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting
    videos to your weblog when you could be giving us
    something informative to read?

  9. For anyone out there still struggling with connecting even after this very helpful fix (which I tried and it certinaly got me part of the way) you may still encounter issues if, like me, you had:

    W7 64 bit
    Office 2010 64 bit
    Sage 2012 (v18) 32 bit

    Having installed the driver from Sage (and incidentally manually adding some registry entries suggested by a Google search) I got no driver in ODBC Admin. As suggested I ran the 32 bit ODBC administrator from sysWOW64 and while the System DSN for Sage did appear, when I tried to connect from Office 2010 I got an error message back ” Data source name not found and no default driver specified”.

    Anyway, seems like the problem is that 64 bit Office won’t connect to 32 bit Sage. Or at least I re-installed with 32 bit Office and it worked first time.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.